Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Element

I recently just finished listening to The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything by Sir Ken Robinson. I had no idea that he had actually written books. I have listened to a lot of his talks online, but recently figured out that he has written several book. So, I went to my local library's OverDrive account and found this title available in audio format. I love listening to books on my phone. I can be working in the garden and listening to a book at the same time.

I have been very impressed with Sir Robinson for quite some time. He has inspired a lot of thinking on my part for quite some time. This book now has added more thinking on my part. The following is a great outline of the book:

Kim Hartman's Outline of The Element

So, I see this book as a great way of explaining why we need to get rid of grades and help students to learn. In other words, our goal as teachers should be to mentor students to find their element. I found chapter 8 to be really interesting in helping students. We are to:

  • Give Recognition
  • Give Encouragement
  • Facilitate
  • Help students stretch their minds
Hopefully I can get better at these as students continue to learn in my class. I believe that not having grades in my class can really help out with this. Once students can stop worrying about their grades and start learning, my role as a mentor also starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third parties may be placing and reading cookies on your browser, or using web beacons to collect information as a result of ad serving on this website.