Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Mindset

One of the best books that I have listened to in recent years is Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck. This book has really helped me to learn that I can change my mindset on a lot of subjects.

In the past I used to say that I can dribble a ball and I can walk, but I really can't do both at the same time. I would also say that I really suck at sports. This is all ironic as I am a pretty tall guy. However, since listening to Mindset I have fully changed my mind. I am still not good at sports. I still can't dribble a ball and walk at the same time. However, I know that I could learn to play sports. I know that I could probably get pretty good at it as well. However, I also know that I am not interested in doing so. If I really wanted to, though, I could take the time and learn to play any sports. Now, could I end up in the NBA or NFL, probably not at my age.

In this idea I have changed my mindset from a fixed mindset (me not having the ability to play sports) to a growth mindset (knowing I could learn to play sports if I wanted to). There are tons of websites, pins, and blogs that talk about Fixed and Growth mindsets. I would highly suggest getting a copy of the book and read or listen to it yourself, especially if you have any doubts about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third parties may be placing and reading cookies on your browser, or using web beacons to collect information as a result of ad serving on this website.